Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Things Non-Quilty

What a month! A member of Stashbuster mentioned a book called "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" written by Peter Walsh. I have seen him on the Oprah Show and was interested in reading one/some of his books. So I ordered the one mentioned. While reading this book, Peter referred to one of his earlier books. Turns out that I had that book in my to-buy list at Amazon, so I moved it to my cart and bought it. I got inspired. That's all I can say. Before the other book had arrived, I was already de-cluttering.

I started with the master bedroom and master bath. I cleaned out "stuff" from the under-sink cabinets. I cleaned out the shelves in the top of the closet. I removed "stuff" from the closet floor. I emptied out 3 dresser drawers and 2 nightstand drawers. I removed more stuff from the hallway storage cabinets. I have even started removing unused items from the (gasp) kitchen!

In the past 3 weeks, I have filled up the curb-side trash bin 3 times. Trash pickup was 2 days ago. Today I made a small dent in the garage, and the curb-side bin in nearly full again. Oh, that's not all! I filled 3 boxes and 3 large shopping bags with clothing and other usable stuff, then I called Salvation Army and scheduled a pickup. They came today. In addition to the boxes and bags, they also took with them 2 office chairs, 1 other chair, 2 cake carriers, and a pressure cooker.

Since there is enough room in the curb-side bin for this week's regular trash, I guess that most of my tossing-out is done for this week. Yes, it feels good to get rid of all this stuff. And I still have more to go. After I make a complete pass through the rest of my home and garage, I will reasses where I stand. I may need to repeat this exercise and look at the things to which I am emotionally attached. For now, though, there is still plenty of "easy" stuff to toss or give away.

Kathy

No comments: