Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Conunrum

I have just uploaded the last quilt photos from my camera to my computer, and then I started sorting. Sounds strange. But I did not document or even label most of my quilts, so now I am trying to remember when I made each quilt because I want to present them as best I can in chronological order.

But that presents another problem. Do I go by when I selected the fabrics, or when I started cutting/sewing, or when the quilt top is finished, or when the quilt is finished? From start to done-done finished (with binding and label), some of my quilts have taken more than 10 years to be done-done finished!

To make things a bit easier to identify age-wise, I sorted my photos into specific time periods (marked by major events or by where I lived). Then within each category, I have tried to remember the sequence of which quilt came before or after other quilts.

That's the best I can do, and I'm not going to worry about it any longer.

Now that *that's* done, on to another quilt...

I know one of my earliest quilts was a baby quilt I made for the first daughter of my youngest brother. That means I made it about 21-22 years ago. Here it is:



While this quilt looks like it has blocks in it, it doesn't. It was assembled in strips. The individual strips were pieced and then they were sewn together before the final, plain border was attached. Talk about fussy piecing. I really needed a design wall, but I didn't know such a thing existed. Maybe at that time it didn't. Who knows. I have thought about that quilt a few times in the past and considered making myself a larger one. But now that I remember how it has to be put together, well, I think I have more than enough other projects that require my attention that I probably won't do a large version.

Now, please pay attention to this announcement as you won't hear it very often: I did the machine quilting on this quilt! Very simple straight-line stitching, but I'm the one who did it. All the blame, all the credit comes right here.

Kathy

No comments: