Sunday, May 31, 2009

My interest in quilting begins...

I enjoyed that first quilt for several years without making any other quilts. About the time that my mother expressed an interest in starting to make quilts, I received a crafting catalog that had quilt kits in it. There were two that I liked so I ordered them. When they finally arrived, I was a bit disappointed. The fabric had already been cut into strips (width of fabric). And, I'm not sure, but I think the fabric was not 100% cotton. At least, it had a kind-of stiff feeling to it that I didn't care for. I did make one of the kits and realized that the quilt was not as big as I would like for my bed. So I went to the fabric store and hunted up some kind of fabric that would do as a border (which was not included in the kit, what was up with that?). I did get the quilt top finished. And it was large enough (barely) to use on my bed. Not quilted, just tied. I don't have a photo of this quilt because I don't have it anymore (I hadn't started photographing my quilts yet).

The other kit stayed a kit for maybe 10-15 years before I finally made it. It didn't have any border fabric, either. So I made do with what I could find at a quilt shop. It is definitely *not* the second (or even third) quilt that I ever made. But it was one of my first quilt-related purchases.



After I finished it, I thought that I would probably give it away. But I think it has grown on me. I will probably make a final decision after it gets machine-quilted by a professional longarmer. If I were making this quilt from a pattern and I were using the same colors, I would probably make sure that there were different sizes/visual textures to the different colored-fabrics. But, still, when it is finished, it will keep someone warm, whether me or someone else.

As for the first quilt that *I* planned (pattern, fabric, etc), that was from a pattern that was eventually called "A Winning Hand" (a variation of "Card Trick"). The pattern had not yet been published by Quilt in a Day. The class I took may have been used as testers for the final pattern. Mackie, the author of the published book, was teacher for the class I took at QIAD. This is the first quilting class I ever took, and where I started learning the "hows" of making a quilt, like a 1/4 inch seam, rotary cutting, etc.



It's awfully pink, isn't it. The background is a solid, but the sashing is tone-on-tone. One of the "cards" in the blocks is a solid. And with this quilt, I learned that tone-on-tone reads as solid from even a short distance. So if I stand back just a little, I see what looks like a lot of "solid". Even so, I still like this quilt. The floral fabric remains one of my favorite fabrics. This quilt was finished using the "birthing" technique that I learned at QIAD, and then was tied all over.

The back of this quilt has its own story: I thought I had bought enough fabric for a backing. What I did not take into account is that once I was ready to add borders I wanted the quilt to be larger than the pattern specified (I like extra length hanging down the sides of my bed). When I started to cut/piece the plain light pink fabric for a back, I, uhhhh, mmmm, well..... To put it bluntly, there was just not *quite* enough fabric for the entire back of the quilt. Oh, shoot! Now what to do? I pondered, and thought, and pondered some more. Eventually, if I recall correctly, my eyes fell on the extra squares of the fabric that I had used on the front. Hmmm.... Is there some way I can make use of those? I wonder.... What if... "Racing stripes?" Would that work? So I did a little figuring, and, YES! it will work. The result:



Some few years ago, I decided that I would like it to be quilted and decided to hand quilt it. I just started hand quilting 1/4" away from the seams of the "cards" on the inside of the cards. Ooops! When I look at the quilting from the back, it looked like a swastika. Yikes! Out came all the hand quilting. Thank goodness it was only one block.

I have not (yet) revisited the idea of hand-quilting this quilt; it remains tied.

By the time this quilt top was finished, I was hooked. I knew I would be making more quilts.

Kathy

2 comments:

Renate Bischoff said...

I really like to read your history of quilting! And I have some books of the Quilt-in-a-Day- series too.

Quiltsmiles said...

KAthy,
Beautiful quilt show on your blog. I enjoyed it.
My first bed quilt was a Quilt in a Day pattern, the Love Knot. It seems funny seeing the reprint and attention this book is getting now. The history of how quilting has "thread it's way into our lives" is wonderful. What a blessing.

Jane

PS: I know I owe you some charms too, for some of my illegal purchases with the No-buy challenge through stashbusters. I hope to get to that this week. Sorry for the delay.